Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Photography and Owl. Infrared Film Photography: the Beginnings.

For a while I've been thinking about ways to combine my interest in photography with animation. Owl feels like an arty enough venture where I can diverge from my normal techniques and do something a little different. Now that I can easily develop film at home, experimenting becomes a lot more manageable and I can really push different techniques and processes. I'm really interested in the unexpected but happy accidents with photography. Regular black and white film is beautiful, but after a while you can begin to visualise what something will look like before you even develop the film. One technique to take away an element of control, is to use Infrared film to achieve seriously unusual results but still retain a very high degree of quality from the images. Now that the weather has picked up as well, the conditions for working with IR should be ideal.

There aren't many options left these day (Kodak Colour IR is absolutely AMAZING, but sadly long since discontinued) so I'll have to stick to what's left on the on the market. Which leaves Rollei Infrared IR400 as the only classic IR film still available in Medium format today.




1 comments:

tutorphil said...

Bring it on, Tom - can't wait to see the results of this!