Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Owl: 99 Marker Pen Sketches

I've started work a new short film. It's called 'Owl' and it's based on a piece of music but I'll give a bit more context in another post. It's early days but one of the things I like to do first off, is to have an intensive doodle/sketch session to release whatever initial thoughts are in my head. Each scribble takes no more than 20-30 secs. I've used marker pens instead of a graphics tablet because you can get really loose with them, and you can get some nice textures and marks easily.

I try to work abstract at first to see If I can find repeating forms and ideas, and then dial back the looseness later on. Most are throwaway, but the purpose is to only scratch the surface and introduce more questions than answers. It's always a good exercise to do and as it continually makes you reassess how you visualise the music or text. The next step - now that I have something to work with - is to have a play around with these in either Photoshop or After Effects and see what emerges.














5 comments:

Jordan Buckner said...

Love these Tom :)

tutorphil said...

So great to see this work from you, Tom - so exciting to think of you at work on another animation :)

Anita said...

Love these too!!

Tom Beg said...

:-)

C O L L E C T R E S S said...

Hi Tom these are looking amazingly beautiful really looking forward to seeing them come to life. Please let us know if you would like to come to the album launch in London next Sunday 23rd. Collectress x