Sunday, 2 March 2014

Developing Colour Film in Black and White Chemicals

One of the interesting quirks of colour negative film  is that you can use black and white chemicals to develop the negative. It's known an cross-processing and is used a lot in the Lomography community to achieve weird colour shifts and fuzzy images. As I had some chemicals left over I thought it'd be a fun little test to end my first run of home developing. It worked pretty well, and I got some funky results. A lot of people get rid of the coloured tint and just have a pure grayscale image. Boring! It's colour film so I decided to keep it.

The biggest drawback is that the resulting negatives are very hard to deal with when it comes to scanning. You can probably see the awful artifacting in the sky which is caused by the really dense negative. I'm assuming the scanner has to push it's capabilities beyond it's means to retrieve the information.

There's not much info about specific times for specific film so I had to estimate based on a few details I found from other people online. For anyone who stumbles across my blog in search of the same thing, these are the times I used for the images below. I went on the extreme end, so that I know to dial back for future. In the end I probably overexposed or over-processed slightly but I was pretty close.

AGFA Vista Plus 200 ISO @ 24 degrees (c) for 15 mins in Ilfosol 3
Ilfostop for one minute
Ilford Rapid Fixer for 7 minutes 

Admittedly, I wish I caught this one with proper black and white film. 




1 comments:

tutorphil said...

Really like these, Tom - like their milkiness.