Friday, 1 June 2012

Project Realisation: Update!

Post-assessment and it's been quiet on the blogging front, mostly because I've been busy with a lot of non-MA related stuff, and in these early days of a project there's a bit of room to allow time for other stuff. Regardless, a good start is always vital to the success of a project and I haven't just been resting on my laurels. The work I'm doing at the moment hasn't called for a major update of the blogging front because it's mostly taken the form of one-to-one tutorials, research and bit of thinking. I can post one thing though. I was set the task of writing a very quick project brief. In the feedback for the last unit I was given a number of questions that the assessors felt needed answering for my final project to reach it's full potential. For my self-written brief, I had a stab at answering these questions posed to me. In the next few weeks the goal is to be able to answer with clear and precise responses. At the moment it's all a bit speculative - half answers you could say. However, from having written this the next step is very clear, and that is to find a suitable location for my project. The sooner the better and I'm beginning to build a few leads already.

"I want to take the technical and conceptual knowledge gained from Project Development and push it to even greater heights . From the feedback of the last unit it was clear that in order for the projection to be successful it needs to use the architectural features of an interior or exterior in order to derive the content the project and achieve it’s full potential as a projection. A number of questions have arisen which will need answering. The most pressing question that needs answering is what is the context of the project? Encompassed within this are a number of secondary questions: 



  • 1. What kind of event will it be? In Project Development my work did not fit within a single category. It was not ‘fine art’ but neither was it wholly ‘pure spectacle’. Ideally, the aim would be to keep these categories indistinct. Knowing this, it’s already clear the project will not be a performance or event with live actors playing out the narrative. Instead a ‘narrative’ will be generated through the use of projectors and animations playing out on the features of a building. The project will be a mix of installation and narrative - an environment where an audience does not necessarily have to engage with the same thing at the same time. They will be encouraged to explore the narrative through their own travel and perception of the space. 


  •  2. Where will it take place? The event will take place in an existing public space, with already existing meanings and use it’s architectural features to map projections onto. Locations which have a good balance between old and new are the perfect venues. They possess a character and of their own, but also offer a lot of modern amenities in terms of power and accessibility which will be vital to putting on a technically impressive show. The locations of most interest at the moment are the Kent Coastal towns which often strike this healthy balance. 


  •  3. What context will it have? The existing meanings of a space need to be taken into account first, before I start producing any work. Potentially this could mean subverting these meanings to give a space a new context. This approach would have to be well thought out and not entirely arbitrary. At this point in time my focus remains on using the existing context of a space, so there is a logical starting starting point to work from. In conjunction with this, finding an argument or theory to form the underlying basis to work from, may well give how the content is generated, a much clearer direction.


  •  4. What will it require technically? Technically, I feel I have achieved a number of aims I set to out accomplish in Project Development. The biggest challenge will be how to effectively manage and produce content for multiple projectors running at the same time. Secondly, I will have to be on site long before the event and long before I begin creating content. This will be because I’ll have to produce the maps needed for the projection. Thirdly, there will be a requirement for sound, which I haven’t approached as in-depth as I have the projection mapping process."

0 comments: