Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Project Development: UCA Projection Photo's

My ghostly projections in UCA could probably be best described as an insightful failure. Meaning that barely anyone took notice, but in some ways that proved the most interesting point of discussion. For example - someone literally walked within a foot of the projection and didn't even stop to take the slightest glance. It's funny how mind's work and how we choose which things to take notice of in our environment. If I'd of projected horrendous images of clowns drowning new born puppies for example (I won't, don't worry) would the reaction of been the same?

Perhaps the projection wasn't as successful as it could of been - sound would of really helped - but the way people COMPLETELY ignore something is really quite fascinating. This even happened at New Designers where our stand was probably the most eye-catching on the entire showfloor, so it isn't always to do with how noticeable the content is.

Pictures below. personally I think the visual effect it produced worked pretty well. I may return to the corridors of UCA with sound at some point in the future...












4 comments:

tutorphil said...

Hey Tom - sigh! I know - there's this myth going around that somehow everyone is eating the world with their eyes, but it's amazing always what gets left on the plate, untouched and untasted. Wish I could have seen it though - hah! Philistines!

Tom Beg said...

Haha - Thanks, Phil. I'll probably have another attempt at a public projection before the end of the semester... :-)

Paul Lemarquis said...

Like when they put a professional classical violinist in a metro and no one notices, yet put him in a concert hall and he is a hero.

Maybe the context was wrong.

Tom Beg said...

Yep - could well be. Though, sometimes I feel if something is too contextualised then it dampens the effect slightly. It's all about balance I guess! :-)