Tuesday, 27 March 2012

The Monkey's Paw: George Ault

As it turns out, the animation is probably going to run over the 10 minute mark if the length of the script for Dorian Gray is anything to go by. Therefore I need to be strategic about the look of the film, if I hope to have any chance of finishing it. 

 My first thoughts take me to American scene painting and the artists associated with that style and era of American art.  I could probably list a whole bunch but just to start off with, George Ault is one such artist of interest to me. Ok - The Monkey's Paw is set in a very definite time period and location. and Ault's style is distinctly of it's ilk AND he was working in the wrong time in relation to the story, but in truth, I don't think any of that really matters! It's the overall aesthetic I'm looking for and as long as the house doesn't look like an American house then I think in terms of the representation of an environment, I think there's a lot which can be taken from his paintings and American scene painting in general...








2 comments:

tutorphil said...

I love these, Tom - can I prod you towards a supplement for one and all? :) I especially like those 'surrounded by blackness' images.

Tom Beg said...

Indeed I can :-)