Thursday, 15 March 2012

The Monkey's Paw: Analysis part 2...

Right - Some visual stuff soon but for now I've had another quick run over the story and picked out some interesting quirks amongst the more obviously quotable text.
  • The Chess game between Father and Son at the start needs to be included because it indicates Mr White's penchant for taking big risks when he doesn't really need to. He takes an uncessary gamble and loses with the gravest consequence. In the game of chess, it's a checkmate.  It's an apt metaphor for the events in the rest of the story.
  • Morris says he has already made his three wishes, though he makes no indication that his wishes have come true. Indeed that may be the point. A fascinating if all too brief character...
  • Herbert's foreshadowing. "Well, I don't see the money," ... "and I bet I never shall.". A great example of Jacobs writing, it feels like every word has some relevance to the story or reveals something significant about the characters.
  • A short passage in the Cemetary can probably be removed but I'll need to find a way of suggesting the passing of time because the desire of Mrs White to wish back Herbert is built up over a period of days rather than an immediate whim.
  • Mr White calls the door knocker 'it'. An important slip of the tongue because it suggest Mr White does not instantly conclude the knocker is Herbert. Jacobs constantly plays with the reader. The Paw may or not hold any power whatsoever. Really, the Monkey Paw only serves as a McGuffin and as an object is probably the least interesting aspect of the story.

The more I read the story the more I love how each sentence leads into the next or how off-hand comments become significant on multiple readings. The multi-layered complexity is something which needs to be included in the version I adapt.

 First draft of the script next week I think!...

    2 comments:

    tutorphil said...

    Hey Tom,

    if you want me to tag along as a second pair of eyes on the old scripting/cutting front, just send me stuff - no probs :)

    Tom Beg said...

    Thanks!