Saturday, 2 April 2011

Major Project: Basil tests! Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo!

I know he's not entirely finished but not great! In truth, I knew this wasnt going to work too well but it was worth a try :( It's not all bad news though.

Surface Shader comes to the rescue! Kind of...The thing is, he looks far to static and resorting to the surface shader everytime is a bit cheap. However there is one thing I noticed...
The shadow on the floor! I LOVE LOVE this effect! It removes the need for awful looking characters being directly in the scene and is suitably artistic. I may just stumbled upon something here! The difficult part will be transitioning to this shot. Confidence increasing a little bit.

4 comments:

tutorphil said...

Hey Tom - maybe you just need to seize the artificiality even more so - almost be unapologetic about his 2d-ness as opposed to tying yourself in knots in regard to disguising it. It's a bit like 'make a feature' of the bit you can't hide. Of course, I don't have any practical solutions to offer - the only approximation I can think of is found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozfGxSOh4c

tutorphil said...

basically - can you just have Basil as an honest-to-god cut-out - but with the shadow being cast to weld it into the scene spatially; in your experiment, I see that you've tried to soften or paintify the photo, but if its decoupage stylee, then the collage/2d quality is the aesthetic and shouldn't be fudged. I can't know that it wouldn't look unsatisfying, but I think you should certainly do some tests when you simply create a kind of parallax decoupage and not worry about it. I think you're feeling exposed slightly because part of you is hyper-sensitive re. the 'lack' of 3d characters, but I suggest you very quickly free yourself of that apologist stance and assert your production design more forcibly. No half measures! :)

Richard V-C said...

Hey tom, its a shot in the dark, but i think i might help if you apply some sort of rim light/shadows to the cut out in photoshop, it just might help make the guy look more placed in the scene.

Tom Beg said...

Okay, thanks for the advice. I shall persevere. :-)