Tuesday, 22 February 2011

Major Project: Soundtrack and VO v001



Having now acquired the services of a professional voice-over to provide the story I've now begun piecing it together with suitable soundtrack. I've been little bit sneaky and used music from films I'm already familiar with. Though no doubt familiar to some. I'm sure the majority will not relate the music back to those original films and I don't think its suitability can be denied. Now that I have the base to work with, I shall continue to refine till it's perfect.

Yes, its long but it's not my intention to create 8 minutes of Maya content.

4 comments:

tutorphil said...

Hey Tom - Lev's right - you are going to need to re-balance the voice-track & music; you need to ensure the voice-track is not subordinate, so be prepared to move the music to the 'rear' of the soundbed as necessary, and return it to the 'front' when you've got clear instrumental sections. I look forward to your ongoing mission to refine this to an inch of its lyrical life!

tutorphil said...

certainly - on the 'I'd give my soul for that' it would be pleasing if the music could 'foreshadow' what is to come, but going slightly ominous. I don't know how you might affect that in real terms, but I'd begin by deftly tinkering with speeds etc in the first instance. May work disastrously - let me know how you get on.

tutorphil said...

Hey Tom - check this out:

http://vimeo.com/19115071

Lots of ideas here for non-maya content - including a lovely use of decorative surfaces for shadows - and very abstract evocations of spaces. Because of the period of your story, I can see those kind of wallpaper prints working well in your world too...

tutorphil said...

just listened to it again - there are some quite lovely synch-ups of mood - the romance at the theatre, the wind 'rattling' the windows - but you're going to need to sort those levels, and greater drama is needed at the murder scene for sure - greater discordancy - something that mimics/mirrors the violence described; also, when Dorian rejects Sybil - these needs to be more 'minor key' - with a growing sense of what Dorian is to become; likewise, when the change in the portrait is first observed, that too needs to bring the musical temperature down - something menacing just getting started...