Monday, 27 December 2010

The Atrocity Exhibition


In my quest for the ideal Major Project, today I bought a book, The Atrocity Exhibition by J.G. Ballard. It's hailed as a landmark piece of experimental fiction. I've never read a Ballard book, only the numerous films made from his books. What stuck out most to me was the unusual narrative structure. Ballard describes the book a number of highly condensed novels that can or cannot be read in order. For example, in his preface he suggests that if you struggle with the unusual structure then you skim through the novel till you find a passage that catches your eye, from there you read the surrounding passages and hopefully through that gain an understanding or the underlying message. It ticks a lot of my personal boxes thats for sure and could provide some perfect CG fodder. Anyway, it's something I'm looking into.

In Bosch land, now that the Christmas festivities are over (barring News Years) i'm back on the production line. I'm still creating colour maps but those will be finished tommorow, from then on its creating the bump and specular/reflectivity maps for the structures. From then its the actual construction of the set which shouldnt take too long, a day at most. and from then its the population of the scene. The 'Making of' is on the brink of being ordered, I just need to finalise the front cover as well a few more paragraphs of text.

As for the disseration, I'm absolute desperate for it not to be hampered by the production of the Minor Project I have a lot written already but I need to take it to the next level. I'm confident I'll have it completed before we come back from Christmas, or at least a very close to being finished version.

5 comments:

tutorphil said...

The Atrocity Exhibition sounds fascinating... my current reading material is Henry James' The Turn of the Screw - which was filmed as The Innocents; if you haven't seen it, check it out - wonderfully perverse somehow and nicely creepy...

talking of which, came across this website and thought of you:

http://www.cerebral-coffins.com/

Hope all is well in the Garden...

Tom Beg said...

You thought of me when you visited that website? Not sure what that says about me then... Either way, it's a great website!

All is well, have been stuffed full of Turkey and stuffing the past few days!

Lev said...

Interesting website, though how do you find such sites? O_O. Interesting in a slightly morbid way

Alan Postings said...

Hi Tom,

Back in 2004 and was invited to the premier of a documentary in L.A. called "Death Becomes Them" (There is a documentary premier every 5 minutes out there). It was an independent movie about the "Museum of Death" which is currently on Sunset Boulevard. If you can find it its definately worth a watch - Its partly a musical too (weird I know but it kind of works). Check it out

http://www.braindamagefilms.com/twisted/death-becomes-them/prod_92.html

http://www.thecabinet.com/darkdestinations/location.php?sub_id=dark_destinations&letter=m&location_id=the_museum_of_death

Don't worry I don't think your obsessed with death but you should definately add it too your 'odd but likeable' documentary list. A bit like 'American Movie'.

tutorphil said...

and while we're on the subject - you should track down the film Winconsin Death Trip... should appeal too.

Meanwhile, I've got a stinking cold and I'm marking postmodernism essays too - boo hoo.