Monday, 4 October 2010

Minor Project: R&D Tree Instancing.

The Garden of Earthly Delights has lots of trees in it, so at some point I’m going to have to produces lots of trees. I could go about this task by individually placing and maneuvering every individual tree myself but of course this would be needlessly time consuming and also as hard I might try, the tree placements wouldn’t actually be very random or organic. Using dynamics and Instancing you tell Maya to emit objects in random places, with random rotations and scales added on top. The technique I used here involves using a texture to tell Maya to instance objects in designated areas. Where the texture is black trees will grow and where the texture is white trees will not grow. The actual final image itself isn't great but you get the point. This method is based off one of Alan's tutorials.

0 comments: