Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Minor Project: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini

I've decided against doing a piece based off a Django Reinhardt, mostly because other than 'La Mer' I couldnt find a piece of music by him that wasnt his typical style of Jazz music. What I wanted was something was performed at a much slower tempo and I couldnt really find anything I liked. Anway going through a couple of Classical music CD's I came across 'Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini' or at least a part of it (I think the 18th part) composed by Sergei Rachmaninoff. It's a lovely piece of music, very evocativea and romantic in a way if you ask me.



I'll keep searching but this one is high on my list. I wonder if its too cinematic though.

1 comments:

tutorphil said...

Evening Tom, I'm liking the new blog template, though I've been asked to ensure that student blogs have a 'Ba Hons CG Arts & Animation at UCA, Rochester' ident somewhere; I'll be asking everyone at the beginning of the year, but if you could start the trend, I'd be grateful; it's for obvious marketing reasons, but we've had a couple of applicants come through who have been following student blogs, and we need to give prospective students a course title and institution to aim for...

Less boringly, I love this piece of music, though I'm a bit surprised you do because it's lushly romantic :-) Whenever I hear it, I get a tear in my eye, because they used it in the movie Somewhere in Time starring Chris Reeve and Jane Seymour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_JmUMkLy7g&feature=related

It was based on a short story 'Bid Time Return' and it's a time travel film: I think, in truth, it's probably awful, but it made a big impression on me when I saw it (I was very small and I was in love with Superman - hey, who wasn't?) and I just cried and cried at the end... sigh!

If you want some lushly romantic music, consider Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherazade - very narrative, and full of 'place and time' - but on the opposite scale, perhaps you should dip your toe in more minimalist waters; so, consider the work of John Adams (A short ride in a fast machine, for instance), Terry Riley, Steve Reich, and, of course, Philip Glass - these may lend themselves to something more left-field and 'open' in terms of genre etc.