Sunday, 20 June 2010

The Omen (1976)

It's a classic and actually happens to be good, so doesn't really fit in with the films I usually review in the summer. (Don't worry Lucio Fulci's giallo classic 'The Beyond' coming soon!). Any rewatched it recently, and it's still still a great film though the person who I watched it with wasn't scared in least apparently, said person obviously has balls of steel... :P Anyway it stands up, though I'd call it a supernatural-thriller rather than a horror, though it has its moments, particularly the scene in the ancient graveyard and the revelations of Damien's mother and I'm glad I didn't have a nanny when I was younger.



Also I haven't seen it in about 5 years but The Omen 2 also happens to be pretty good, particularly the death scenes and particularly the one where the people get stuck under the ice.

5 comments:

tutorphil said...

I LOVE this movie - indeed, I'm just starting to put together a writing project in which formative movies and childhood are interwoven; I saw this movie when I was much too young and it left a lasting impression. I just love the utter seriousness of it, and the fact that it is not populated by teenagers - a film in which adults have to deal with the supernatural is a rarer and rarer set-up; of course, incredible score by Jerry Goldsmith - and it was a movie that was one of the first to use a kind of viral, teaser-style hype campaign, with elliptical posters appearing everywhere before the content of the movie was explained... this is the only devil movie that does it for me! But I'd also suggest you check out 'Night of the Demon' directed by Jacques Tourneur:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kt8hFHRZJo&feature=related

It's great - right until the end when American audiences needed a bloody great devil to appear... groan! Check it out.

Lev said...

You can mention who said person was you know :p. An dno. Someone gave it false advertising. But yes was a good film.

Tom Beg said...

wondered if you wanted people knowing about your balls of steel :p

Tom Beg said...

Anyway the scary stuff is to come :P

tutorphil said...

I'd guessed it was Lev! :-)