Friday, 5 February 2010

Transcendental Style in Film: Ozu, Bresson, Dreyer by Paul Schrader


A post relating to the Research and Framing essay and the dissertation as well I suppose. Given that it's probably a wise choice for me to do something about cinema it's now a case of figuring out what I want to write and argue about. I'll be honest and say that I don't have a clue right now about what I want to write about.

This is a book by Paul Schrader famous for being the writer of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull among others. In it he writes about the films of Japanese director Yasujiro Ozu, French director Robert Bresson and the Danish film director Carl Dreyer. I'd take a guess that most have never heard of any of these people, these filmmakers have never entered the mainstream subconscious but are INCREDIBLY important and influential none the less. OBVIOUSLY I'm not think about writing about these filmmakers, that would be ridiculous. What's more relevant to me about this book is the way Schrader has identified these three directors of a certain style, assessed and created an argument about why and how they make films the way they do, in this case it's the Transcendental style. It's constructed in a way that will be very similar to how the dissertation will be written . Intro, Chapter 1 (Ozu), Chapter 2 (Bresson) Chapter 3 (Dreyer) and a conclusion. It's early days but this sort of where I want to go. Identify a set of unrelated directors with a similar style and bring them together as one.

0 comments: