Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Framing Practice thoughts!

I’m closing in on the subject I want to write about for both the current Essay/Synopsis and Dissertation. The choice is and has been for a little while something about Japanese cinema Post-World War 2. Obviously Post-War Japanese Cinema is a an absolutely massive subject, so I sort of want to narrow it down a little, I’m thinking more along the lines of the effects that Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings, losing the War, subsequent Westernization of Japan and the loss of identity and analysing the effect that it had on Japanese cinema. Fortunately for me Chris Hunt is a Japanese film obsessive, particularly the filmmakers I want to cover such as Yasujiro Ozu, Nagisa Oshima, Shohei Imamura and Hiroshi Teshigahara he also recommended a couple Akira Kurosawa films to watch.

Record of a Living Being
Rhapsody in August
Stray Dog although I thought of that one (it's a favourite of mine)

Books

Ozu and Japanese Cinema by Donald Richie
Transcendental Style In Film by Paul Schrader
Embracing Defeat
Inventing Japan by Ian Buruna

Watch this space!

1 comments:

tutorphil said...

Great - you're really focusing down on your second year stuff, this essay included. Everything you do now will just make your third year more pleasant, so dig in and maintain your focus - and reap the rewards in a few months time. Again - some very striking artwork on show; I have a suggestion for you; take a look at the website

http://www.bobbooks.co.uk/photobooks/examples.html

With some forward planning - and some money - you could put your developmental drawings into a very professional looking format - I've used this company - and the outcome was very satisfying! Obviously they need a lead-in time in order to get it printed... anyway, take a look.