Friday, 29 January 2010

Transcription: Thinking about the Volcano

I have some music and a time length. Phil says the longer, Alan says the shorter. My preference is the shorter. I’m trying to create a world, a narrative and a character all without actually having these things. There’s a danger it could waffle and become pointless, I want to keep it tight and appropriate.

The hardest challenge is clearly going to be condensing to main ideas and themes of the book into a single or couple of environments/cg places. I’ve spoken to Alan about this and his advice was to condense the book into a memento/place that is understandable but gets the main themes of the book across to the viewer. Phil’s advice is for it to be entirely abstract, less a literal transcription and more a reaction. The choice is mine I suppose! I would like to a find a middle-ground between the two, which is how I envisioned it from the start really.

Symbols? Calaveras and skulls obviously, Oaxaca’s famous Mescal; the choice of drink for The Consul (though he drinks many things), the mangey street dogs that ‘shadow’ the Consul, the Volcanoes Popocatepetl and Ixtaccihuatl, the ravine and many more. I don’t think it should be about the Volcano, the title of the book is Under The Volcano, not In the Volcano or Around the Volcano. The volcano is supposed to shadow over the environment and The Consul.

Themes? So it’s a case of what themes the novel explores that I feel are the ones I want to come across the most. Alcohol is the main theme. So is the importance of The Consuls inevitable and wanting descent into death and hell and rejection of ideals. My thoughts are that Alcoholism HAS, MUST play a part, it is The Consuls raison d'être, Lowry’s raison d'être and the novels raison d'être. Another one that interests me is the theme of War and Fascism; it is how the Consul finally meets his death and the political uncertainty creates turbulence in the air about the presence of The Consul in this foreign land. It also a big part in the character of Hugh but this transcription of UTV will not be about Hugh. I feel this theme has relevancy to the Mexican artists I’ve been looking at: Diego Rivera, Jose Clemente Orozco and David Alfaro Siqueiros, whose artworks were coated in political thought and message.

I’m personally seeing the colours of UTV in an abstract sense, not necessarily representative of the environment from a real world P.O.V. The colours of the Day of the Dead festival, orange/red from the candlelight, blue from the night time sky. I think the colour scheme should be sombre and like a funeral.

0 comments: