Wednesday, 9 December 2009

An 'interesting' film from China

During one of my usual Internet browsing sessions I came across the film 'The Founding of a Republic'. Obviously we have been studying Postmodernism and all the various ideas associated with it such as incredulity towards meta-narratives etc and I thought it might be of interest to some people. Anyway the film is a Chinese Government funded epic detailing the rise of the Mao Zendong and the Peoples Republic of China to celebrate its 60th anniversary. I'm sure these types of films get produced all the time in China and North Korea but what I find very striking about this the sheer weight of talent behind it. Here are actors and directors with significant presence in the West such as Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Stephen Chow, Tony Leung, John Woo and many more lending themselves to what is essentially a government propaganda film. I have no particular communist sympathies but I must admit that I really want to watch this, it looks so dramatic.

edit - oh the irony of having a Charlie Chaplin banner...

0 comments: