Monday, 12 October 2009

Le Trou



Usually I don't post about the random films I watch but 'Le Trou' or 'The Hole' just so happens to be one of the best films I've ever seen. So I thought I'd post something about it even though it has no relation to any of my current projects. Maybe I'm being culturally ignorant but when people mention great prison dramas and prison escape films this one never gets a mention, but it should. The use of black and white cinematography is some of the best I've seen in any film ever, the shadowy corridors and sewer pipes lend themselves so well to black and white film, this would of been a lesser film had it been shot in colour. It's just so darn gripping and it's one those films where by the end you pretty much know the characters. I think Quentin Tarantino describes films with characters like this as 'hang out films', obviously these guys aren't too interested in hanging around for that long but you get the point.

0 comments: