Friday, 23 October 2009

Character Design: Nuclear Art Deco

I guess it’s just my luck that BBC4 recently started its Age of Glamour season, which for me means lots of programme about Art Deco and pre-WW2 glamour in America and Europe. I have an interest in Art Deco outside of college work but with my Tamara De Lempicka and high-class glamour influence it means it is quite relevant to my current project. Watching a programme recently it is quite clear to me that Art Deco was obsessed with speed and streamline. Planes, Trains, Boats and Automobiles were the symbols of choice for Art Deco in the late 1930’s. The idea of combining modern science with classy modern art design was a key feature to Deco at that point in its lifecycle.

On to my project now. I have all these possible mechanical themes at the moment but I think I need to narrow it down in order to really give my characters a distinct theme and style rather than something mishy-mashy and pointless. With my characters being of younger age than the usual Hollywood, Art Deco-loving glitterati in the 1920’s and 30’s, I’d say that my characters represent more modern life and are a modern twist on the typical Art Deco lifestyle, so I think it’s important to give my mechanical bits and bobs a modern twist but still keeping with the classic Art Deco love of speed and streamline.

Things like Nuclear Weapons and Missiles I would say are distinctly Art Deco because of the emphasis on streamline but Nuclear Weapons and such came along years after Deco had run its course as a popular style. Yes, Nukes and such will be a suitable theme for my characters.

0 comments: