Friday, 7 August 2009

The Big Red One

With the impending release of Inglourious Basterds I feel it's a good time to look back on one my favourite ensemble cast World War 2 films The Big Red One directed by Sam Fuller with that badass Lee Marvin in the main role. I haven't seen it in a a few years so I'll have to wear my rose-tinted glasses when talking about it. It doesn't have a lot action, it's more of a character film with a little humor on the side. It's more like All Quiet On The Western Front than Saving Private Ryan. While watching it I seem to remember thinking that maybe Mark Hamill was not a total failure but obviously I came to my senses afterwards. But despite failed acting careers it is a great watch.



Unfortunately for the problem for Inglourious Basterds is that it's doomed from the beginning because Brad Pitt is starring in it, even worse is that he's trying to do a accent. Has a film had anything quite as bad as this working against it? Only Brad Pitt films.

0 comments: