Sunday, 26 July 2009

Funny

I was told not to watch this but whatever I live by my own rules...and I had nothing else to do on a lazy Sunday evening. I watched the American version because it's the version I had and apparently it's exactly the same as the original. Would rather of seen it in the original language and with the original actors since Tim Roth is a bit of an old hat these days, so maybe I should of watched the original, I think I would of liked it more than I did. But there was obviously a point to remaking it exactly the same so I'm still hip... I like a good satire and I like Michael Haneke (Hidden is great), so it made sense that I enjoyed it (to the extent that it could be enjoyed). It reminded me a lot of the Suda 51/Grasshopper Manufacture game No More Heroes especially how it goes against the typical film (game in NMH's case) conventions and how it breaks the fourth-wall. That's a rather general and lame way to sum it all up but eh, it's hardly subtle in its approach. It was fairly obvious to me what Haneke was trying to say. In terms of my overall enjoyment and whether or not two of my precious precious hours was spent wisely before Swine Flu no doubt strikes, I would say that I'm never going to fully enjoy a film where an innocent family is murdered for no reason but that was the whole point I suppose...





Looking foward to seeing White Ribbon...

1 comments:

tutorphil said...

You disobedient tyke! :-)

No heckling when I show it again, and going 'oh yah, the whole fourth wall thing, that's like, soooo yesterday...'

I really enjoyed Funny Games; great performances, and great sterile art direction...