Sunday, 19 April 2009

Virtual Anatomy: It's time to move on, but before that...

Here's a few more, this time trying to visualize a deteriorating world, Like all the others they are seriously random (the fourth one, what the hell?), I still think there's a simpler to way to achieve the visual change that I want but Bird Flu has this kind of dirty, nasty disease reputation, still feels like it's not quite right. Maybe it's a bit too obvious? Third one is perhaps the closest to what I really want. It's really familiar to me, can't think of what it reminds of though but if someone can find it, it's quite blatant I nabbed the colour scheme and style from it. Not on purpose of course but the colour scheme has obviously stuck in my head.


So all this stuff is fast becoming safe, predictable and boring. It's obvious to me that I am now well within my comfort zone, it was my efforts to move out of my previous comfort zone and challenge myself that got me to this point. So now I need to push on with other stuff to keep things and myself fresh. To me these illustrations have served their point they have helped me be able to visualize my world more clearly and I'll will be doing them again for later projects. These are just little sketches to me they are just mini-concepts, little nuggets of chocolaty delights in computer form, not real concept 'art' but my intention is that the final pieces are going to have a lot more class, polish and be Representative of the final thing, believe in me.

But for now the fun stuff is over, it's back to the nitty-gritty. I appreciate the fact that I have to make a film so I will take another look at the brief and medical info to make sure I am on track and as I planned Storyboarding starts Monday, I am hoping that this will go hand-in-hand with making a some new concept art... As right now I am struggling to see what needs to make up the entirety of my 'world' If I can rough that out with some storyboards then it will help with my final concepts. When I get to see the finished pre-viz I'm very confident that all this stuff is going to come together make a great animation but to do that but I need plenty of time to really make it 'zing' in Maya, I well and truly need those four (three really, fourth week is to polish stuff up) weeks in order to escape the shackles of Maya mediocrity that so bind around my wrists like a tightly woven crown of thorns. I also have a deadline to adhere to and I don't want another 'Digital Environments' debacle, so shameful to me is that piece that it can never be posted within the walls of this blog...ever. While I'd love to potter around some sort of fantasy garden,pondering my universe and all it's little intricacies at the end of the day idea's are a dime-a-dozen but idea's are nothing if it isn't a finished product. Balance is the key.

4 comments:

tutorphil said...

am loving this concept stuff - especially the first image above - great use of colour, nice 'off-centre' composition and I can see that you're relaxing with every new image you produce; and you're right not to hide anything away; the one thing about a good 'making of' is the completist/exhaustive approach; with a bit of polishing in photoshop, all those sketches, however provisional, can be the stuff of an excitingly composed page of developmental drawings; embrace the sketchbook aesthetic. Well done, Tom; your work is interesting because you are interested; your work is exciting because you are excited; and that's pretty much the deep dark secret of being a successful artist/designer... Have a productive week and keep steaming fowards.

tutorphil said...

Hi Tom, concept art phill here, hacking in as phil G. Just been having a nose at your work, must say it's looking pretty impressive. I'm liking your intense colour palette and your images all seem well composed. I'm glad you're making use of photoshop as a creative tool, after seeing your initial efforts in concept art. I reckon what you should look at is how this guy adds light and intensity to some of his images. http://www.sparth.com
He's a french guy, a real hero of mine among others. I think some of the more abstract images you've done would really benefit from you going in and adding dustings of warm light and also occasional rim lighting for dramatic effect. Looking really good, keep it up. See you soon. Phill H

Tom Beg said...

Whoa, now I have TWO creepy Phils posting on my blog.

Tom Beg said...

Also that guys work...now I just feel bad.