Tuesday, 10 March 2009

Animation Project: How's it going?

Its going quite well actually, it'd be nice to have an animatic done by Wednesday but Thursday morning seems more reasonable, this will give me over three solid weeks to draw and scan (If scanning takes too long, I might break into the Maidstone campus and use their animation cameras) the animation and write the essay. :D Unless I am shamed and humiliated at the interim-crit if that happens then I will quit the course and go live in the Amazon.

The basic story is very simple and hasn't changed at all really. In terms of its look I am shooting for a very very early animation style (think Gertie The Dinosaur but leaning more towards humourous early American animation style)and atmosphere rather than a Looney Tunes inspired animation. Of course there is a perfectly good reason as to why I am choosing this style.

Obvious characteristics of early animation is the simpleness and crudeness of it all, it's mostly line drawings with a bit of black shading here and there, and usually all that is drawn tends to be the main character, the object that they are interacting with and a simple background like a tree or a horizon-line. To me it makes to message and story much more precise, the story and characters can be literally broken down into two or three parts. There is nothing else that gets in the way. I think this reasoning applies well to my story, I just want my story to be about the Blimp waiting outside the house for the owner to take him out. So basically the the only characters and objects in the animation are a Blimp and a static House.

There really aren't any obvious frying-pan-in-the-face jokes, its supposed to fall into the 'Charming' category of animation. What I have noticed about very early animation is that it really doesn't rely on wall-to-wall gags, there are jokes and bits that make you laugh but it isn't slapstick in a Tom and Jerry sense.

2 comments:

tutorphil said...

Hi Tom - Oh no, it's the disembodied voice... obviously, I'm going to wait to see your animatic at the interim crit, but wouldn't it be more logical if the blimp was outside an aircraft hangar - http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/ac-usn22/z-types/zr3-k.htm - as opposed to a house? After all, blimps don't live in houses (yes, I know they're not generally ebullient either, but you see my point).

Tom Beg said...

Difference is that 'Airship's are rigid structure (as in they have a metallic structure supporting it)and these types tend to be used the army so I'd assume they can't be deflated therefore they need a large place to house them (A hangar). A Blimp is a non-rigid aircraft mostly used nowadays for commercial use and advertising (Goodyear Blimp for example). Still, I am not entirely positive whether these types of Blimps take off from a field or an aircraft hangar, so that is some research to do.