Wednesday, 4 February 2009

Navigation Project: Essay

The essay that we have been given seems like a tricky one to me. I feel that analyzing a single film would simply lead to a pretty boring scene-by-scene analysis. So for this essay I am going to branch out somewhat.

While this is by no means my final choice of film for the essay, i feel that these are films that could be quite interesting to analyze. The two films are Stray Dog and Seven Samurai both from Japanese film-maker Akira Kurosawa. What could be interesting about these films is the fact that they are very different films coming from the same director. Seven Samurai is considered Kurosawa's epic magnum opus so to speak and Stray Dog is a relatively simple film noir movie made six years before Seven Samurai. How the camera work etc relates to the story and drives it forward is something that I will have to look at closely, but for now it's a good starting point.

Stray Dog




Seven Samurai


0 comments: