Tuesday, 9 December 2008

Digital Environments: Edward Hopper and Giorgio De Chirico

Phil showed us a bunch of stuff that relates to our current project. Not all of it was to my tastes but a lot of it was pretty good. The work that interested me the most were the paintings by Edward Hopper and Giorgio De Chirico, these are two artists that are quite familiar to me although I have never really explored their work in a way that could influence my own work.

Edward Hopper

Edward Hopper was not new to me, I actually went to a Edward Hopper exhibition at the Tate Modern a few years ago which was great. Its always nice to see paintings that you like in real-life rather than in a book or on a computer screen. Hopper's paintings have a real filmic quality to them. In comparison to somebody's work like Gregory Crewsdon who Phil also showed us, Hopper's work seems a lot more subdued in its approach, relying more on realistic and subtle lights to help create atmosphere. Rather than a sense of unease like Crewsdon, I think Hopper is obviously going for a sense of loneliness.



Giorgio De Chirico

I'd say that Giorgio De Chirico work is an obvious contrast to Edward Hoppers. De Chirico's work is very surreal and could possibly be described as nightmarish. Like Hopper I would say that his work is very atmospheric. What I like the most is his skewed sense of perspective and shadows as well as the way that the strange architecture sits in comparison to the baron landscape.







0 comments: